Speed warning as a percentage

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Under Consideration
I love using CoPilot I'm my HTC Desire, it does just about everything I need from a SatNav. However, a small improvement for me would be able to put a percentage in for the speed warning setting rather than an absolute value. I hope this could be included in this great piece of software. Many thanks for the opportunity to put this forward.
Photo of pkcrowilliamsonP

pkcrowilliamson

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon McGuganJM

Jon McGugan

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Likes
I asked for this a long time ago but ALK never responded. I would really like to set individual speed limits for 30,40,50,60 and 70mph
Photo of dcewbaD

dcewba

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Yes I agree, this would be a good enhancement to V9, hopefully they will decide to implement it very soon.
Photo of Paul OS

Paul OS

• 3 Posts
  • 4 Likes
I would also agree with this ... being able to set the over limit as a % of the marked speed would be ideal. 10kph over on a 50kph zone is much worse than 10kph over on a 120kph zone.
Photo of Frank Chesmu

Frank Chesmu

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Like
on Copilot Live Premium (v9) i can choose Speedalarm over 5; 10; 15; 20; 25; 30km/h. But no differenc between Town or highway. maby a overlimit in % will be good.
Photo of John Phillips

John Phillips

• 12 Posts
  • 4 Likes
I see in one of the screen shots, they show a speed limit sign as reporting to you the speed of the road you are on. I have never seen this on mine, and would love to know what is the speed limit at the current stretch I'm on. I tend to miss them on the side of the road and not see them. My Tom Tom does this, I will always know the speed limit, and get warnings when I'm over as well. I don't get any of this on my CoPilot. I think some of you must get this, but I don't know what your doing to get this. Cause I don't see it.
Photo of Steve Holmes

Steve Holmes

• 45 Posts
  • 4 Likes
I believe you only get the speed posted on their Enterprise product. Kind of sucks that Tom-Tom and Garmin have it. Not Copilot.
Photo of DavidD

David

• 129 Posts
  • 16 Likes
As I understand it, the road speed indication is reliant on data contained in the maps (NAVTEQ ?). As the maps provided in the release version of CPLv9 are over a year old this information cannot be relied upon anyway.

From my own experience of CPLv9 it would seem that this data is incomplete anyway as it does not show speed limit for all roads.

Getting back to the original topic, I can't see the point of displaying speed warnings as a percentage - I set mine to warn when I'm 5mph over the speed limit and want the alarm to remind me of the speed limit for the road I am on, and the speed I am going (although there is already a big dial on my dashboard for that). Displaying a % tells me nothing.
Photo of jon.mcguganJ

jon.mcgugan

• 71 Posts
  • 6 Likes
In UK doing 35 in a 30 will get you points (I know people done for 34). The percentage was to warn when you were a percentage over, eg 33 in a 30, 77 in a 70.
Photo of Neil Watson

Neil Watson

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Likes
In the UK, the authorities show interest at the speed limit +10% +2mph so ideally setting the alert to +10% would be great to allow a safety margin of 2mph.
Photo of Steve Goossens

Steve Goossens

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Likes
This is exactly what it should be in the UK (+10% or +10%+2MPH)... I got caught out by a 30MPH camera shortly after a 40-30 MPH change because I had it set at +10MPH (which is fine on the motorway, and near to the +10%+2 tolerance). Please consider this as an option in a future update for the UK/EU versions.
Photo of Paul GriffinPG

Paul Griffin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Likes
I agree with this for the UK ... people living around us have been done for 32mph in a 30 limit (which you cannot argue with as it is illegal). So I would like an option of getting the warning not at +10% or +5mph but at the actual speed limit i.e. the alarm sound at 30 in a 30 limit. Then if I choose to break the limit I the decide by how much!
Photo of AndrewGA

AndrewG

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I would fully support a change to being able to choose a percentage excess over the speed limit. For the "flat-earthers" who still want to specify a fixed speed number you could leave this as an option. Not only does the fixed speed number make a nonsense when being applied to a 30 mph or a 70 mph limit but it becomes even more ridiculous when travelling to/from UK to rest of Europe and switching to METRIC instead of IMPERIAL. If you have specified an XS limit of 10 mph (15%) while in the UK this same figure is only HALF of the percentage XS (7.7%) when in a 130kph limit.

While on this subject, while travelling between UK & EU the program on my phone (HTC Desire) manages to change the time base automatically and apply it to CP Live (I use ver 9.1.0.307) but why does CP Live not change between METRIC and IMPERIAL automatically? It has the GPS position so knows full well it has crossed the Channel.

pkcrowilliamson

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Like
Thanks for keeping this one going guys...let's hope ALK are listening.
Photo of Christian

Christian, Official Rep

• 2593 Posts
  • 127 Likes
Official Response
Yes, we absolutely are listening and we really appreciate everyones feedback. This is, at the time of writing, the most popular requested Feature Request here: http://forum.copilotlive.com/copilotl... so it is being considered for a future app update. There is an app update due next month for CoPilot Live Premium with a few of the most requested features and some other goodies. Keep the feedback coming and don't forget to '+1' any features you want to see added.

pkcrowilliamson

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Like
Thanks for replying Christian.
Should this be added to CoPilot Live Premium, will it also make it into CoPilot GPS (as I'm a CPL v8 upgrade customer) ?
Photo of Christian

Christian, Official Rep

• 2593 Posts
  • 127 Likes
Yes, features like this I'd imagine would be added to the base v9 platform which powers the Premium and GPS apps.

pkcrowilliamson

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Like
Cool thankyou.
If we could also have bigger/clearer eta/distance and speed warning like in v8 I personally would be one very happy bunny.
Photo of AndrewGA

AndrewG

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Don't know if my ver (9.1.0.307) is CP Live or CP Live Premium but the SPEED warning I get I find OK. CP Live will constantly show the speed limit (an option) and I am impressed with the way it changes on screen as i travel from one limit to another, very accurate (+/-50metres). Having set the XS speed warning number (optional) it shows actual speed for about 5 secs (optional), and beeps (optional) in addition to the constant show of the limit.

I agree that a slightly larger and clearer letter format for ETA, Distance, Time Remaining, etc would be beneficial. However, it is readable as it is in CP Live but in my opinion would benefit from a clearer contrasting background. I suspect the existing will be less of a problem with the larger screen phones such as the HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy III.

What I do find difficult to check (v. easy on CP8 in the quick menu on the bottom such as ETA, Distance, Time remaining, etc) is the chosen destination. More than once I have found my self being led to a completely different destination which was not the one I thought i had chosen. I like to double-check the destination once I have made the choice through the GOTO menu. For some reason the Destination is no longer in the
Photo of Stewart W Campbell

Stewart W Campbell

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Like
I support this idea.

Here in France they don't have tolerance 1 kph over is enough for a ticket.

Keep up the good work the product and customer service are good!

Stewart
Photo of Paul-Michael Ebbens

Paul-Michael Ebbens

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Likes
I personally would prefer an option to say i'm over the speed limit full-stop rather than 5kph or 5mph!
Photo of Steve Goossens

Steve Goossens

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Likes
This seems like a feature that would be trivial to add (scalars instead of offsets), yet still no word on it being included after 2 years of the suggestion??
Photo of Mark LewisML

Mark Lewis

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Likes
This is important to me. Please inform the stage this change request is at in the workflow. Thank you.
Photo of Kevinx

Kevinx

• 152 Posts
  • 5 Likes
Larger speed display would be good (for those with dodgy eyesight!), but to show as a % overspeed seems (to me) a little odd. We would be judged (no pun intended) in mph (kph) over the speed limit, and not % over the speed limit.

Showing as being x% over the speed limit would, no doubt, be confusing to SOME people??

Just my two penneth.

:-)

Larger speed reading would be good though, although currently is sufficient.
Photo of Mark LewisML

Mark Lewis

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Likes
The request is not to display anything, but rather to allow settings input (Settings > Speed Limit: Display speed by e.g. 5 km/h) as a percentage over the speed limit. This is due to tolerances, which in my state are as a percentage. 6km/h (10%) over the limit in a 60 zone is the equivalent of 11km/h over the limit in a 110km/hr zone ( i.e. 10%), so to input the warning as e.g. 5 km/h is not convenient. What about in a school zone (40km/h)? You won't be warned till you're 1km/h over the speed limit.

I'd also prefer the current speed displayed constantly; displayed in RED when over the limit (as is the case currently)
Photo of Carl Clwydian

Carl Clwydian

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
speed limit.
Photo of Ian RobertsonIR

Ian Robertson

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Like
overspeed warning option.

Would like the facility to set the overspeed warning to a % of the speed limit + some constant eg 10% + 5 at 70 , 10% + 0 at 30 and so on
Photo of Carl Clwydian

Carl Clwydian

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Likes
Totally. 5mph over at 70mph is safe but 5mph over 20 or 30 is an offence!
Photo of John CoatesJC

John Coates

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Like
exceeding speed limit warning.

May have already been suggested but can we have an option for generating a warning when exceeding the limit by a % rather than just a fixed amount, while also keeping the fixed amounts. 5mph over 70 may not always get a ticket (but no guarantee) where 5mph over 30 will. The option to have a warning @ 5 or 10% excess would be more useful.
Photo of Jon McGuganJM

Jon McGugan

• 555 Posts
  • 26 Likes
This was asked for over 3 years ago. My money is on it appearing in a "new" app we have to pay for.
Photo of Jon McGuganJM

Jon McGugan

• 555 Posts
  • 26 Likes
Copilot claim they listen and that may be true but I have seen no improvements in last 2 years, just next to useless extras that don't improve what Copilot should do.
Photo of Paul BosworthPB

Paul Bosworth

• 1 Post
  • 0 Likes
Yes has been 3 or 4 years now.  Tired of waiting!
Photo of Jon McGuganJM

Jon McGugan

• 555 Posts
  • 26 Likes
Luckily Nokia Here has arrived for Android